Sunday, June 23, 2013

one-word-descriptions around a late night bonfire.

My cousin’s going to China.

I think it still feels slightly unreal. I’ve known Katie since diapers, back when we were stupid and naïve and played with cardboard and almost annoyed each other to death every time we got together to play. Fortunately for us, we grew out of those tendencies once we hit the teen years, and we’ve been best friends for quite some time now. 

Katie’s also worked at camp with me for the past four years – ever since I’ve been there, she’s been there too. She left this morning to go home, headed halfway across the world for a five week internship in just a few short days. Last night, the entire camp staff had the wonderful opportunity to sit around a bonfire and tell everyone what they appreciated most about her. We all came up with different words that best described her, and then expanded on why we chose those words.

Faithful. Spirited. Questions. Quiet force to be reckoned with. Uplifting. Delightful.

For this sure to be awkward blog post (Katie’s uncomfortable with so much attention focused on her), I decided to elaborate on the three words that I chose. Because at the very least, someone as beautiful and courageous as Katie deserves to have a blog post written about her.

Servant- Katie lives her life in a constant state of servitude to others. She has this constant posture of stooping below people to lift them up, not to gain anything for herself, but because the love of Christ pours out so abundantly from her heart, she can’t help but put others first. It doesn’t matter how uncomfortable, inconvenient or challenging it is for herself, she presses on anyway because she sees people for who they really are: beautiful image bearers of Christ. Because of this truth, she can’t help but serve them whenever possible.

Comfortable- Katie’s one of the most comfortable people to be around. It’s like she wears this big welcome mat around her heart, standing with open arms where anyone can come in for a hug, some laughter and a cup of coffee whenever they need it. My first year on camp staff, I felt pretty uncomfortable in such a new environment, surrounded by new people. It was mainly because of Katie that I came into my own skin and felt comfortable coming out of my shell. She just has this incredibly simple way of making you feel like you’re sitting at home with close family and friends and are able to relax no matter what stress the day held earlier.

Passionate- I will never forget the night that Katie left me an at least five minute long message, ranting and yelling about one of her friends that was convinced women couldn’t be pastors. While I could really only make out about half of it, I’m still always a bit taken aback by Katie’s passion. She stands firm in what she believes in, planted on Christ The Solid Rock, and it’s so encouraging to see her so unwavering in her faith. She is stable. She is steady. She truly is a quiet force to be reckoned with. I have seen the same passion come out in the way she talks about China. It’s been a desire pressing on her heart for many years now, and her commitment to spreading the Gospel there, no matter how dangerous or challenging it is for herself, has never faded. My cousin has guts.

Another purpose for this blog post is to serve as a reminder, a reminder to lift Katie up in your prayers, to call out to the Lord for her safety, but also for her mission, that the light of Christ would burst out so powerfully from her heart, it reaches people and pierces past their walls, sinking deep down into their souls.

I love you, Katie.

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
--Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment