Friday, May 2, 2014

say something.

So, I recorded a cover of A Great Big World's hit song, "Say Something." I found the sheet music from musicnotes.com and ended up learning it in about two hours. I freaking love the song's simplicity and soothing melody, but it speaks to me on a deeper level than just the outer music notes and measures. The song captures the emotions and feelings of the first half of Yellowtree. So perfectly, in fact, that hearing it still sometimes brings tears to my eyes.

The song itself is tragic, revolving around a person saying goodbye to a crumbling relationship. In my book, after Levi and Jake steadily grow apart due to the peer pressure of high school, Jake lashes out at Levi as an initiation into his new group of friends - physically and emotionally injuring Levi. The process leading up to this traumatic event unfolds slowly. There is no sudden moment where Levi and Jake's friendship suddenly falls apart - it's a slow, almost untraceable journey, and one that leaves Levi hard pressed to explain how it happened. It's small things here and there that keep them slipping farther and farther away from the close brothership they used to share.

"Say Something" is the perfect theme song to capture what Levi feels as he watches Jake fade from his life, unable to save himself, Jake or the friendship. It simply happens and before he knows it, Levi has to face the fact that Jake isn't the same person he used to be and it's time to say goodbye.

Of course, the last half of the book will deal with the slow but beautiful process of reconciliation during their three months of working as counselors at the same summer camp. I still haven't found the theme song for that segment, but it will definitely end on a less melancholy note. But right now, for this dark and often times confusing part of the book, "Say Something" rings true in every single line.





Say something
I'm giving up on you
I'll be the one if you want me to
Anywhere I would've followed you
Say something
I'm giving up on you

And I am feeling so small
It was over my head
I know nothing at all
And I will stumble and fall
I'm still learning to love
Just starting to crawl

Say something
I'm giving up on you
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
Anywhere I would've followed you
Say something
I'm giving up on you

And I will swallow my pride
You're the one that I love
And I'm saying goodbye

Say something
I'm giving up on you
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
Anywhere I would've followed you
Say something
I'm giving up on you

Say something
I'm giving up on you

Say something
Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment