Tuesday, November 11, 2014

yellowtree: chapter one (updated).

I've been on such a roll writing and revising Yellowtree these past few days, I almost forgot that Tuesday is usually the day when I write a new blog post.

So, instead of throwing something sloppily together, I decided to update everyone on the new and revised chapter one of Yellowtree.

This chapter has been thrown through the ringer so many times, I'm convinced that nothing in it is stable, nothing is permanent. After all, the first chapter, the first scene, the first sentence is one of, if not the most crucial part of a novel. It carries the awfully heavy burden of spiking the reader's interest, pulling him or her in and keeping the pages turning, on to chapter two, scene two, sentence two.

All that to say, even though I've revised the crap out of chapter one, it is still very much a work-in-progress and open to feedback/critique/suggestions/advice. Writing often times look like one step forward followed by three steps back. And that's part of what makes it beautiful, you know? Slow, small inches to the finish line, whatever that finish line looks like.

Right now it's just a big hazy blur in the distance.

Check out chapter one here and let me know what you think, if you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment