Monday, April 21, 2014

stumbling through footsteps with secret-soul-scars: my guest post for a journey on the trail.

I'm very excited to be featured today on my friend's blog, A Journey on the Trail. This is the blog of Patrick Ray, and I'll just use his own description from his website to introduce him:

My name is Patrick Ray. I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I desire to see small neighborhood churches started all across this beautiful city. My best friend and fiancee's name is Shelby Brooke; I get to marry her on May 31st. Also, I love semi-colons.

It's kind of perfect because I'm still completely confused by semi-colons, so I guess our blogs balance each other out. His writing is consistently humble, grace-filled and poignant, always lodging itself deep in my brain and my heart, getting me to not only think about it, but feel it. I've known him for about a year, and I so appreciate his heart for people and the way he sees them as exactly that: people that matter.

So, I jumped at the opportunity to write a guest post for his blog (as a trade-off, he will be featured speaking in my next vlog episode!) I decided to write on the woman who anoints Jesus' feet with perfume, as I had just recently read the story during my quiet time.

Here's an excerpt, with a link to the full post down below:

---


Jesus turned toward the woman and said to Simon,

"Do you see this woman?

I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.

You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet.

You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.

Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven - for she loved much.

But one who is forgiven little, loves little."

--Luke 7:44-47 (emphasis added)

On the flip side, one who is forgiven much, loves much.

The fact that through our sins and through God's forgiveness we can learn to love better absolutely blows me away. For to me, we're all just stumbling through Christ's footsteps, trying our best to hold onto his Love through the cracks in the earth and the dirt in our skin. We love because he first loved us. And sometimes we fall, sometimes we fall a lot, which should be reason enough for Christ to leave us behind to sit in the mire.

But for some crazy reason that still doesn't make sense to me, he crouches down next to us, stepping into the muck and looking us in the eyes. We cringe because we expect him to yell, but he speaks soft, gentle. He speaks Healing.

Your sins, which are many, are forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment